According to the recent Forbes’ 2018, it seems the richest athlete Floyd Mayweather for the fourth time in the past seven years, thanks to a $275 million increase for his August boxing match against UFC star Conor McGregor.
Mayweather dethrones football Star Cristiano Ronaldo, who was the highest paid in the previous two years. Ronaldo ($108 million) drops to third this year, with longtime rival Lionel Messi ($111 million) edging him out, after signing a new contract.
Other prominent features on the list are:
- UFC’s Conor McGregor ($99m)
- Brazil’s golden boy Neymar Jr ($90m)
- Cleveland Cavaliers Star LeBron James ($85.5m)
- World’s no.2 tennis seed Roger Federer ($77.2m)
- NBA Golden boy Stephen Curry ($76.9)
- NFL’S Quarter back Matt Ryan ($67.3m)
- NFL’S Detroit lions Mathew Stafford ($59.5m)
No sign of women in the list
Tennis Player Serena Williams
Every Forbes’ lists of top-earning athletes have long been a male dominated field. But there has always been at least one female athlete, and as many as three, who qualified since the list was expanded to at least 50 names in 2010. Not this year.
However, Serena Williams was mentioned in the Forbes’ list the previous year but due to her pregnancy for the last 12 years she did make into this year’s list. But when she came back she only managed $18million which not only did she not make into the top ten list but also she did make the top 100.