Gor Mahia loses steam in KPL title race

Gor-Mahia defender Joash Onyango battles for the ball with Fred Nyarombo of Western Stima in a past KPL match. [Photo Courtesy]

Gor Mahia dropped points for the second game in a row further throwing wide open the Premier League race.

K’Ogalo were bidding to recover from a 3-1 annihilation by Sofapaka on Sunday when they visited Western Stima in Moi Stadium, Kisumu, yesterday.

The wobbling champions could only draw 1-1 draw in a controversial match that saw two players sent off.

Gor Mahia were reduced to 10 men after Joash Onyango was shown a straight red card after only 10 minutes of play before Western Stima’s Oromchan Villa received his marching orders in 65th minute.

Clifton Miheso gave Gor the lead in the 48th minute after firing low past Stima’s shots stopper John Mwangi before Villa restored parity with a clever chip past an advancing Boniface Oluoch.

The draw left the defending champions four points clear atop the Kenyan Premier League table ahead of Tusker who have a game in hand and the opportunity to close the gap to a point.

Speaking after the match, Gor head coach Steven Polack said he was disappointed with the results and called upon the players to up their game.

“We were very unlucky to lose Onyango who is a key player in our defence with 80 minutes still to play. The first half was poor from us after failing to attack when we had clear chances of hurting the hosts.”

“However, I’m glad the boys responded well after the break with an early goal. The defence was a little off when Stima equalized but the boys tried. We know what is at stake and we will come back stronger,” the tactician said.

However, Stima coach Salim Babu had a different view, “We played well today. It would have been even better if we could have won the match as we had the advantage over them for the opening 75 minutes. Its a good result and we will build on that to ensure we win our next match.”

The draw left Stima in seventh place with 32 points.