Uhuru mourns Chief Inspector in charge of Sagana State Lodge

President Uhuru Kenyatta arrives at Sagana State Lodge for a meeting on November 15, 2019. . PHOTO COURTESY

President Uhuru Kenyatta on Tuesday mourned the death of one of the security officials attached to Sagana State Lodge following his death in a grisly road accident.

Chief Inspector of Police Pius Kipserem Cheboswony died after he was involved in a crash on Monday along Oljororok-Dundori Road in Nyandarua County.

Prior to his demise, he was in charge of Sagana State Lodge and had served in the National Police Service for 28 years.

Details of the accident remain unclear but investigations have commenced at the Nyandarua County Police Headquarters.

The accident also left a colleague in critical condition along Ol Joro-Orok Ndundori road in Nyandarua County. 

In his message, the president said the country had lost a highly dedicated security officer whose commitment endeared him to both his colleagues and superiors.

“My sincere and heartfelt condolences to the family of Chief Inspector Kipserem following the tragic death of such a courageous man. His sacrifice in serving this great nation will be forever remembered,” President Kenyatta said.

He prayed to God to give the family comfort and fortitude at this difficult time of mourning.

Nyandarua Police boss Gideon Ngumi said Chief Inspector Kipserem Cheboswony, 49, was the driver of the ill-fated car in the company of Chief Inspector Joel Sangili aged 52-years-old.

Both officers were on their way back to Kiganjo Police Training College for a senior police officers training.

The accident occurred near the Rosewood matatu stage when the officer’s vehicle, a Toyota Fielder, lost control hitting a Toyota Double Cabin driven by a Mr Njuguna Wanjiru, 60, who was heading in the opposite direction.

Mr Njuguna was with a relative identified as Susan Wanjiru, 35, when the accident occurred.

Mr Ngumi said that due to the impact of the accident, Chief Inspector Cheboswony died on the spot, while Chief inspector Sangili suffered a cut on the nose and a swollen left arm.

He said Mr Njuguna suffered injuries to the chest while Ms Wanjiru complained of waist pains.

“The body of the deceased was taken to Nyahururu Hospital mortuary while the other victims are admitted in the same hospital,” said Mr Ngumi.

Both vehicles were towed to Ol Joro Orok Police Station.