Edwin Kibet Koech won the Dalian International Marathon on Sunday in China with the first ever sub-2:10 performance in the 32-year history of the IAAF Bronze Label road race, taking more than three minutes off the course record with 2:09:44.
In other news;
– Former AFC Leopards coach Jan Koops has been discharged from hospital. Koops left yesterday after Nairobi Senator Johnson Sakaja cleared his bill.The former Leopards tactician expressed gratitude to the senator even as he criticised his former club, claiming that it had abandoned him. The former AFC Leopards Coach Jan Koops was in hospital bed at Metropolitan hospital after he was detained for over Sh280, 000 medical bill.
– Former Harambee Stars coach Adel Amrouche has signed a two-year contract with Libya Football Federation (LFF) to become the country’s national team coach.The Algerian-born Belgian replaces Omar Al-Maryami, who led the team to the 2018 Africa Nations Championships (Chan) in Morocco, where they lost to Sudan in the semi-finals.
– Kenya are the top seeds for next weekend’s Rugby Africa women’s tournament taking place in Gaberone,Botswana.The Lionesses, runners up at last year’s tournament in Tunisia,headline Pool ‘A’ which also features Madagascar and Senegal.Tunisia are in Pool ‘B’ alongside Uganda and Zimbabwe while Pool ‘C’ features Morocco, hosts Botswana, Mauritius and Zambia.
– Berlin protested yesterday against Moscow’s decision to ban from the World Cup the German journalist who broke the story on Russia’s state-sponsored doping scandal, stoking further an already controversial tournament.The row erupted just days before German Chancellor Angela Merkel is due to meet Russian President Vladimir Putin, who in recent years has clashed repeatedly with Western leaders on a litany of issues including the conflicts in Syria and Ukraine.
– Peru captain Paolo Guerrero has been suspended from this summer’s World Cup because of a positive doping test.The Court of Arbitration for Sport has upheld an appeal by the World Anti-Doping Agency to extend Guerrero’s six-month FIFA ban, which expired this month.CAS says Guerrero will be banned for 14 months which lasts until January.