Shock as Top UFC Fighter announces retirement

0
163

UFC’S former two-weight champion Conor McGregor recently stated that  he has “retired from the sport formally known as ‘Mixed Martial Art'”.

Today (Tuesday), Conor announced his decision on his social media handles.

“I wish all my old colleagues well going forward,” he added.

However during his last fight ended in defeat, in which he was defeated by Khabib Nurmagomedov in October 2018 – the Russian winning the lightweight contest by a fourth-round submission.

It was his first fight in the octagon in two years and the defeat was marred by a post-fight brawl which led to both fighters being fined and suspended.

Since making his mixed martial arts debut in 2007, former trainee plumber McGregor established himself as one of the sport’s leading fighters.

And at the peak of his powers he took on former undefeated five-weight world champion Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match and earned a reported $30m (£23m). McGregor surprised many with his fast start to the fight but Floyd stopped him in the 10th round.

However, McGregor’s time in mixed martial arts has also been marred by controversy.

In 2018, he was ordered to have anger management training and perform five days of community service by a court in return for criminal charges being dropped after he had attacked a bus containing rival UFC fighters.

Through a Video footage it shows that McGregor throwing a railing at a bus carrying Khabib and a number of other UFC fighters.

Earlier this month McGregor was arrested in Miami for allegedly smashing a fan’s phone as they tried to take pictures of him.

McGregor, who finishes with a record of 21 wins and four defeats, said: “I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement. Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!”

 

Retirement

This is not the first time that McGregor has announced his retirement from the sport.

In April 2016, McGregor tweeted: “I have decided to retire young. Thanks for the cheese,” and was then not included on the UFC 200 card.

But he quickly issued a retraction outlining that he had instead fallen out with the sport’s bosses over promotional work.

In September 2018, McGregor launched an Irish whiskey brand.

Following McGregor’s announcement UFC President Dana White told sources that: “He has the money to retire. It totally makes sense. If I was him, I would retire too.

“He’s retiring from fighting, not from working. The whiskey will keep him busy and I’m sure he has other things he’s working on.”

“He has been so fun to watch. He has accomplished incredible things in this sport. I am so happy for him and look forward to seeing him be as successful outside the octagon as he was in it.”

However, McGregor’s latest statement arrives after an interview aired on an American television show, in which he claimed he was in negotiations with the UFC about a return to fighting in July.